On June 2, Santa Clara Law Interim Dean Anna Han, Santa Clara University President Kevin O’Brien, S.J., and Provost Lisa Kloppenberg hosted a recorded virtual conferring of degrees to the 2020 Santa Clara Law graduates who earned LLMs, JDs, and MLS. “We believe it may be the first time in SCU history that 3 lawyers conferred degrees to the law graduates,” said Interim Dean Han. “I know it is the first to be done virtually.”
A video of the conferral was emailed to all graduates with a note from Interim Dean Han, which read, in part, “I know that it is disappointing to not have an in-person celebration, but I hope that each of you, with your loved ones, will take the time to celebrate in whatever way you can. Earning your law degree is a major milestone in your career and you should truly savor this moment. Know that it is not the ceremonies that matter, but the substance that you have learned. I truly hope that you will leave Santa Clara knowing that you were taught by faculty who care, staff who did everything to support you, and classmates that can be lifelong friends.”
During the recorded event, President O’Brien reminded graduates that, “at a Jesuit University, education is always to be put into the service of others.”
“I ask each of you to always keep in mind those on the margin who need you,” he added, “as we try to create a more just, gentle, and sustainable world. Each of you is empowered to help us as a community, as a nation, to navigate these very challenging waters right now.”
The Santa Clara Law Class of 2020 including 229 graduates, 209 of whom earned a JD degree. The class included six students who earned LLMs in US Law for Foreign Attorneys, five students who earned LLMs in IP Law, and there were nine graduates who earned an MLS in Corporate Compliance. In addition, numerous students earned specialized certificates, including:
- Public Interest and Social Justice Law (18)
- Public Interest and Social Justice Law, Emphasis in Criminal Justice (14)
- International Law, Comparative Law Specialization (1)
- International Law, International Business Law Specialization (2)
- International Law, Public International Law Specialization (7)
- High Tech Law (16)
- High Tech Law, Corporate Specialization (22)
- High Tech Law, Intellectual Property Specialization (5)
- High Tech Law, International Specialization (1)
- Privacy Law (10)
Other online graduation events included:
- The Law School also offered a virtual “Prayer of Thanksgiving for the Graduates of Santa Clara University School of Law 2020,” which included an announcement of three special honorees in the Class of 2020, as well as readings from Scripture by faculty members, a reflection by SCU Provost Lisa Kloppenberg, and well wishes from faculty and staff.
- Santa Clara Law faculty and staff created a Congratulations Video for the Class of 2020.
- The Center For Social Justice and Public Service held a virtual event in honor of the 32 Social Justice Law Scholars.
- The Center for Global Law and Policy (CGLP) recognized graduates through a video congratulations ceremony. The video featured Professor Tseming Yang, Director of the Center for Global Law and Policy, speaking on some of the highlights of careers in International Law, as well as a reflection on what it will mean to be an International Lawyer in the Post-COVID world. Hallie Bodey, CGLP Program Manager, recognized virtually each graduating student. Other guest speakers additionally provided words of congratulations and thoughts on the importance of an International Law Certificate.
Santa Clara Law plans to host an in-person event when health recommendations allow for such a gathering.